Machined 3D feature on part for alignment

---

I am considering adding a specific machined feature to my parts that would serve as alignment surfaces for CAD comparison. 

Does anyone else use this method to make alignments, if so what feature characteristics do you use? 

This abbreviated cylinder is my initial thought. It would protrude from the actual part in area that could later be removed. 

halfcyl.png

Hi,

I guess you want to make the shape of your original part unique in regards to the automatic 'Prealignment' algorithm?

If this is your intention you have to consider the following issues:

1. With your proposed additional shape you have still two valid constellations (via a rotation by 180°)
  2. If your additional shape is only a small portion of your overall shape the 'Prealignment' algorithm can't ensure that this additional shape is considered in the way you are intending.
  3. Furthermore you have to add this shape to the CAD that this is also considered during the 'Prealignment'. Removing it afterwards would trigger a recalculation of the 'Prealignment' (and you lose your advantage). As an idea: you could establish other streamlining processes via Single-Element-Transformation where you could use your approach. Nevertheless, this solution is not an out of the box solution.

Because of the mentioned issues usually our customers try different approaches.

Hope this helps?!

Regards,