Polygonizing Cloud makes it shorter by 3-4mm

---

Hi Team,

I’ve been experiencing issues where scanned items appear to be 3-4mm shorter than my physical measurements. I’ve conducted some tests to investigate this issue. Although it doesn’t happen all the time, it has been a recurring problem for a while. We rely on measurements using GOM Suite, but we occasionally don’t get the most accurate results.

Here are my results:

image.png.6d44111e3b63745c8178191837229d43.png
The spool measures 5998mm in a physical check. We then scan it and process the data through Cyclone using an RTC360 scanner by Leica.
image.png.2fe8884d9d9864a82980deac3b8fddd2.png

The photo above shows the "Point Cloud" in another software. It appears to shrink by 1-2mm each time we import it.

image.png.ef24daef542cd6a663beb49051a16bf4.png

I also measured this in GOM, and it seems that GOM is considering the edge of the Point Cloud as "Noise," which results in a smaller MESH. Here are my results using the Outer Caliper Measurements:

image.thumb.png.8956711487014ac60b3d1edbf4b27c14.png

Am I doing something wrong during the process? Are there any settings I could adjust to minimize this "shrinkage"? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers,

James

Hi,

I would recommend to contact your local ZEISS partner to discuss this observation in detail. A lot of things has to be considered during the measurement setup to ensure a good accuracy gathering the data and even the evaluation must be considered. This can't be done in the Forum!

Regards

I just spoke to a Zeiss representative and given me the same methods I had been trying - I'm just at a lost here as it has been an issue for years. I was advised to use GOM's auto Meshing, my MESH was from solid MESH to static MESH using this method. I was also told to use it with "Normals" which made no difference when creating a MESH. 
I've played with the MESH settings and no matter what I do, it's still coming up short.

My thoughts are perhaps GOM is considering the 2-3mm edge of my point-cloud as "Noise" is there a way for me to tell GOM to MESH manually - ? is there a setting for it that I could disable? 

Thanks