is it possible to track deformation without surface component ?

---

Hello,

I would like to keep track of a distance between the two certain marked lines during deformation of a specimen, the specimen cannot have a speckle pattern, but only marking lines.

Let's say, I have a specimen where it is not possible to apply a speckle pattern. However, I can apply visible lines with a marker. These lines would then play the role of a physical touching probe extensometer. When I record the deformation of the specimen with marked lines, does Aramis offer an interface so it would be possible to compute the engineering strain over the distance between the marked lines ?

Greetings,

Fatih

Edited

Hi Fatih, you can use the "extensometer" function. This creates a two-point-distance between two facet-points. Therefore you would need to not mark an entire line, but just two small-areas with some marked/ dotted "pattern" - means image information that the DIC algorithm can track - at the desired distance on your specimen. Something like the following (but a few "marker-dots" might be sufficient). But please keep in mind reflections etc. which will effect your accuracy if you only "dot-on" some small marks! And you only have the information of two facets - this is also no comparison in accuracy to a standard ARAMIS measurement!

image.png.1c9acc263ba45425e7928f20ee434373.png