GD&T Position Calculation on Features that are not Square

---

Hello,

I'm curious to know if anyone else struggles with providing position in Zeiss Inspect? We have found here that we need to make a nominal datum system from the feature and be in the datum system alignment and then check position back to the nominal datum system, this is quite an extensive process to do position and we would like to know if there is a better way or if there is an improvement we may see in the new software update? This seems most often when you are checking position that isn't quite square to the datum system. 

Also, a feature request would be to add the function to do "slab" like features to do positions on. 

Any information and feedback is welcomed here! Thank you. 

Edited

Sorry,

have I understood your correct that the fact that your feature is not parallel or perpendicular to the planes/lines of the datum system causing some trouble.
For this case is a option in the position tolerance dialog:

image.thumb.png.89d071956571d13730bb0d859a34ee56.png

Otherwise I do not understood your problem. Could you please provide an example?

Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your input and help, we will try that and see if it helps us. As for the problem, we are seeing that when you check the position of a feature and it isn't in a squared space to the Datum System, the tolerance zone for the feature is not centered around the nominal feature instead it seems to be going to the datum system and is skewed in some cases. I'll work to provide examples when I have time.

Thank you again! 

Checking position is very easy.

First you create all the features that make up the datum system....plane A, plane B, plane C.

Then go to construct > local coordinate system > Create datum system....select the features above to create a fully defined datum system. If you want it to best fit, then don't fully define it.

Now make a circle, cylinder, or point somewhere. Then ctlr right click that feature and select the GDT part of the wheel and go to position. Select Geometry(I do b/c I use guassian for my features) for your method and select your datum system and you can select what axis you want to check the feature in. 

Hello Tim,

I know checking position easily but we are finding in Zeiss Inspect if it isn't square to the datum system it doesn't accurately check the position. 

I think you need to re read the question...

Thank you. 

Please sign in to view this quote.

Hello Christoph, 

We did some testing and your suggestion works great and we really appreciate your help on this, thank you for your time! 

Have a blessed day and a great week!

Thank you,

Joe Montross