Getting a distance from the intersection of a Cone and Cylinder

---

I cannot get repeatable results on the below part distance using 3 intersection points then creating a circle. Creating 3 points and a circle improved my results, but I still am not happy with the output.

I'd like to be able to intersect a cone and a cylinder and use that to get the distance. The problem is it looks like the only feature  your can create from a cylinder and cone intersection is a 'curve'.  Then I cannot figure out how to get an average 'point' or centroid point so that I can measure a point to plane distance.

Is there a way I can accomplish my goal of using the cone - cylinder intersection and somehow create a point from this intersection? Or somehow get a distance from the intersection to a plane?

cone-cylinder_intersect.JPG

Hello Tim,

you can create a fitting circle from the curve by  RMB -> select all points of element on the intersection curve (MP referenced construction).

If you are interested in the distance in every point of the curve you could use a deviation to geometry for example ZEISS Quality Tech Guide (gom.com) (actual element has to be selected in this case)

Nanno

Loo

Please sign in to view this username.

Awesome, thanks...i need these types of workarounds bc even though a plane-cone interesection creates an ellipse and in this case a cylinder-cone creates a 3d curve I still need these to average out to something I can use for a distance.  PCDMIS bassically uses a centroid of hits. This will do something similar for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Please sign in to view this username.

Your suggestion worked great thank you very much. 

This doesn't matter much for us, but I wanted to ask why you can create a 'circle' from a 'curve' in this example.....but if you intersect an ellipse from a cone and a plane you cannot create a circle from that....this doesn't affect us b/c our max/min ellipse diameters have extremely tight variance, but I was wondering why you can create a circle from an intersection 'curve' but not and intersection 'ellipse'

Thanks.

Hi Tim,

a fitting element like a circle in this case needs a point selection for its creation. A section or intersection curve qualifies for this but an ellipse is already a fitted element, which is treated like a point. You could create a "curve from 2D element" from the ellipse though and use this for the creation of the fitting circle.

Nanno