Measure alignment between two axis /center lines of cylinders

---

Hi! I just received my scanner not so long ago and I'm discovering the software.

I have a part that has 4 cilinders. I would like to know  how to measure the alignment between the centerlines of the cylinders.

Cylinder 1 and Cylinder 3 should be in the same axis (in theory), same as Cylinder 2 and Cylinder 4.

I'm able to get the diameter, but I don't know how to draw a centerline and then compare the distance between them

Thanks in Advance!

image.png.6ec27de10f45a70433a0cc430cccb831.png

It seems you are interested in the position/location of one cylinder vs the other. Creating a datum with the CYL_1 as the primary you can get the GD&T position of the CYL_3. You would highlight Cyl_3 then go to Inspection > check GD&T > Position.  To create the datum system(which is basically a coordinate system) you go to Construct > Local Coordinate System > Create Datum System. For a pure position check in this instance you can get away with only one feature for the position check, but to get X Y value deviations you will need to lock down all the degrees of freedom.

Your cylinders don't have a lot of length so the stability and projection error are going to work against you, but that is how to get a position check.

You can also lock down all your degrees of freedom in your datum setup and then create a division point in the middle of the CYL_3 line by going to Construct > Point > Point from line(if you are on 2022 you can select divsion point, if not, youu must make two end points and then a division point). Then you can use that point to get a X and Y deviation by going to Inspection > Check Dimensions > Positions > Check X, if you do that make sure to use the datum structure you created for the coordinate system.

Below is the position check of a cylinder and you can select to visualize the tolerance zone of the position check:

cyl.JPG

One additional recommendation to get an insight how your cylinders are "differing": You can create an angle between both cylinder center lines (2-direction angle). This gives you no clue about the position difference but about the orientation of your cylinders to each other. As Tim already mentioned, your cylinders are not very stable due to their measured length: You should try to measure as much as you can from your cylinders to stabilize the fitting result and your evaluation.

Regards