Calculate cross-section of a maeshed element and distances in the cross-section

---

Hello,

In the attachments you can find a picture of the part I am analysing.
This is a meshed element that was obtained from scanned data points. 
I would like to know if if is possible to obtain a cross-sectional vie(w where the meshed element and the constructed plane intersect. 
(I would like to compute distances in this cross-section to obtain the exact thickness profile of the 'cylindrical' part sticking out of the plane.)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Caroline
image.png.f4768598f4f53580e6135788a2052276.png

Hello Caroline,

you can construct a section -> single section and use the displayed plane as the reference plane for the section. Then select the mesh (or a certain area) you want to cut with the selection tools. The resulting section can be used to create points and distances on it.

Alternatively, you may cut the mesh as described above and chose "Values from surface analysis" from the checks in I-Inspect of the section. 

Regards,

Nanno

Thank you for your answer.
When I try to create a section I can't. The explanation mark states:
"The conditions which are required for creating the element have not been fulfilled completely. Please select points in the 3D view."
But when I then try to select points, it is just the position of the plane that changes.
Do you know how this comes?

Regards,

Caroline

Capture.PNG.cd5783d029583673cf549580454bb477.PNG

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I have an additional question about this.
Is it possible to export the datapoints of the section to analyse the results of the thickness further?
Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Caroline