Scan size

---

I have an ATOS 5 with 560mm lenses. What is the maximum part size (recommended) that I can measure without photogrammetry? so that my measurement is not affected by splice deviations

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Moises,

It's not so easy to give a definite answer here, since the maximum part size with acceptable splice deviation depends on many things like sensor generation, measurement technique, reference point positions. Splice deviation is always a topic when it comes to bigger parts.

As a rule of thumb we often say that the max. part size should not exceed round about 2 times the measuring volume to finally have acceptable splice deviation. In your case this means a part size of max. ~ 1 meter. For everything which is bigger than that photogrammetry is the way to go. It can also be worth to invest in photogrammetry for smaller parts, because the accuracy/splice deviation could then be further improved.

Way more important is the scanning technique, e.g. how you digitize your part. All reference points on the part should be interconnected with overlapping scans as good as possible. With such an approach you can minimize deviations.

Best regards,

Matthias