Scanning internal details of vanes of closed impelller - GOM ATOS 5

---

Hello All ,

I want to scan the internal details of Vanes of Closed impeller ( As you can see its come hollows )

image.thumb.png.b20bf2b4e768fb9771b6b7cdcc6843e1.png

We have

1. GOM ATOS 5 Scanner 
  2. ATOS Inspect Professional 2019
  3. Touch Probe .

I took scan from front & back side and orient them together to get the details as show in images .

image.thumb.png.66dcbe963dc6b1782cc61cbe86b13966.png

image.thumb.png.313d984a81e150ab034f2bc6332a43a0.png

What are the best techniques available to scan those details using GOM ATOS 5 .

How much is touch probe will be helpful in this cases ?

Any other approach or method will also be helpful ( Using mold or other techniques ) 

Thanks in advance.

Regards 

Imran 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Imran,

Thank you for posting your interesting question.  I guess the key to finding the best strategy for measuring this parts is to first understand why you are not currently able to scan all of the internal details. So I have some comments and some questions.

• Why are the internal details not scanned?
    • The basics (which I'm sure you know, but are worth reiterating):
      • For these internal details: Is it possible to see/image the projected fringe pattern with at least one camera?
        • If only one camera can see the fringe pattern, is Triple Scan enabled for the measurement? (See Scan Point Computation parameters)
        • If the fringe pattern cannot be seen in at least one camera, can the sensor position be adjusted further?
          • When line-of-sight is very limited, as it appears to be in your case, it can be helpful to think about the sensor as having only one camera and optimise its position for just one camera and the projector.
      • The internal details are relatively deep into the part, when looking/scanning from the viewpoint shown in your first image above.
        • Are the internal features within the measurement volume, particularly the depth of field, for the sensor configuration?
          • What is the diameter of the impeller?
          • Which measuring volume are you using to scan the impeller?
      • What is the surface condition of the impeller?
        • Is the surface condition of the internal features cooperative (good contrast of the fringe pattern) or uncooperative (highly reflective and or very dark or red)?
      • Is this a metal or plastic part?
        • If this is a plastic part or low density metal part, perhaps GOM CT would be worth considering in the future.
    • Are your receiving any error messages from the ATOS software when trying to scan these features?
      • e.g measurement transformation errors

I look forward to hearing from you with some answers to these questions.

Best wishes,

Chris